Michelin restaurants in Amsterdam
Those traveling to Amsterdam to discover its culinary traditions will be surprised to learn how versatile the city’s gastronomic life is. Snacks at brown cafes and bars, traditional food at cozy family restaurants, organic restaurants, pancake bakeries, breweries… At the same time, the most fastidious guests and those who prefer dining out at the internationally-acclaimed venues won’t be disappointed as well. There is a vast choice of restaurants that boast recognition by the world’s best known restaurant guide, Michelin, in Amsterdam. We suggest you our list of the best Michelin-starred restaurants in Amsterdam, most of which are found at hotels.
Best Michelin-starred restaurants in Amsterdam
Ciel Bleu. 2 Michelin stars. Hotel Okura 5*
Hotel Okura prides itself on its extensive list of gastronomic offers which make it a paradise for every gourmand arriving in Amsterdam. There are a total of 5 restaurants at the hotel, the most famous of which, Ciel Bleu, is awarded with two Michelin stars. Located on the hotel’s 23rd floor, Ciel Bleu is the perfect place to enjoy delicious food prepared of fresh seasonal ingredients combined with stunning views on Amsterdam skyline. Its menu list contains international dishes prepared in creative style that can be supplemented with wines from the hotel’s extensive wine list. The hotel’s sommelier, Noël Vanwittenbergh, named the Sommelier of the Year by Gault Millau 2014, will help you make the right choice of wine. The menu changes four times a year.
Facts about the restaurant:
- Cuisine: a great selection of international dishes with fresh ingredients
- Atmosphere: classic sophisticated atmosphere
- Special features: unforgettable views from the hotel’s 23rd floor, the opportunity to participate in the restaurant’s cooking workshops held in English
Yamazato. 1 Michelin star. Hotel Okura 5*
If you want some change in atmosphere and love Japanese cuisine, welcome to another culinary paradise at Hotel Okura – Yamazato! It features the best of everything you can expect from a Japanese restaurant: traditional 15th century décor in Sukiya style, a vast choice of Japanese dishes, including more than 50 specialties, sushi, a la carte dishes or Bento Box, and, to complete the impression, views on the tranquil Japanese garden. Those who pay much attention to the restaurant’s background will be glad to know that Yamazato’s founder Akira Oshima is the knight of the Order or Orange Nassau.
The restaurant’s main features are:
- Cuisine: the vast choice of Japanese dishes that can be ordered a la carte and in Bento Box. More than 50 specialties. Sushi is offered too, of course
- Atmosphere: traditional Japanese-style décor perfect for a pleasant tranquil dinner
- Exceptional features: Japanese garden is the focus of the restaurant
Bord’Eau. 2 Michelin stars. Hotel De L’Europe 5*
Bord’Eau, the sophisticated masterpiece within the famous Hotel De L’Europe, is a luxurious destination for those who want to get a royal welcome and try dishes prepared and served at the highest level. Last year the restaurant received its second Michelin star while the hotel’s Executive Chef Richard van Oosetnbrugge got the title of the “Best Chef of the Year 2014” at the Gault Millau Awards. The restaurant guests will love its classical salon-style atmosphere, views on the Amstel river and delicious modern dishes accompanied by the finest wines from the hotel’s own cellar, Les Caves De L’Europe. For private events there is a private dining room.
The restaurant’s main characteristic features:
- Cuisine: modern international cuisine and the finest wines from the hotel’s wine cellar
- Atmosphere: classic salon-style atmosphere and views on the Amstel river
- Exceptional features: innovative dishes. The restaurant’s chef is awarded with Gault Millau title of the Best chef 2014
Restaurant Vermeer. 1 Michelin star. NH Barbizon Palace hotel 5*
A perfect companion to the luxurious NH Barbizon Palace hotel, Restaurant Vermeer invites you to the culinary feast focused on French, Dutch, Mediterranean and English flavors. Typical for a restaurant of this class, there is a wine cellar with a great selection of best wines to choose from. The refined atmosphere of the restaurant fits in perfectly into the total ambience of the hotel. The latter is, by the way, located within nineteen 17th-century houses plus a 15th-century chapel that contains a conference center. You will definitely love the choice of dishes prepared of local Dutch ingredients and “From the land” menu that is focused on curious seasonal vegetable dishes.
Facts about Restaurant Vermeer:
- Cuisine: a combination of French, Mediterranean, Dutch and English offers
- Atmosphere: classic with a touch of historic feel
- Exceptional features: wine cellar with lots of choices, location in the city center opposite the Centraal Station, “From the land” menu containing creative vegetable dishes
Restaurant Vinkeles. 1 Michelin star. The Dylan 4*
Set within the atmospheric The Dylan hotel on the historic Keizersgracht canal, Restaurant Vinkeles boasts that very special ambience that any gourmand visiting Amsterdam should experience. The restaurant occupies the former bakery, and the great evidence of this is the 18th century ovens decorating the place. On the other side, visitors can enjoy views on the beautiful hotel garden. The combination of these features creates the cozy atmosphere of the old Amsterdam. Visitors are welcome to savour classic and contemporary French dishes, with a focus on fresh local ingredients.
The restaurant’s main features are:
- Cuisine: classic and modern French
- Atmosphere: charming old-style atmosphere
- Exceptional features: large 18th-century ovens on one side of the restaurant and views on the hotel’s garden – on the other. Location by the Keizersgracht canal.
La Rive. 1 Michelin star. Hotel InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam 5*
Dine with the stars and celebrities at the famous La Rive restaurant set within one of the most renowned hotels in Amsterdam, InterContinental Amstel. French and Mediterranean dishes with a touch of innovation are served on the specially designed porcelain. The focus of the restaurant is views on the Amstel river that create a great impression on its guests. There are two special menus that change every 8 to 10 weeks: one, La Rive Gauche, contains executive chef’s Roger Rassin’s signature dishes; the other, La Rive Droite, offers new dishes prepared of seasonal ingredients. The member of culinary association Alliance Gastronomique, La Rive is waiting for those who want to taste the delicious dishes paired with the finest wines from the hotel’s wine cellar. There’s no doubt La Rive is one of the best spots in Amsterdam to bring your loved one to.
Basic information about La Rive:
- Cuisine: French-Mediterranean with creative touches
- Atmosphere: classic luxurious atmosphere
- Special features: views on the Amstel river, menu that changes every three months, seasonal ingredients