The Greenest Amsterdam Hotels
In the times when water and air pollution and global warming are becoming real problems it’s good to know that at least some companies act in an ecologically conscious way. If you care about our world’s future, you have many green Amsterdam hotels to choose from. These hotels gained the most prestigious eco certificates from the Green Key and the Green Globe, and offer location that is convenient both to enjoy the central attractions of Amsterdam and its greener sites.
The most eco-friendly hotels in Amsterdam
Hilton Amsterdam 5*. From approx. €196
Hilton Amsterdam is one of the best known Hilton properties in the whole world. It’s the famous Lennon-Ono couple that made the hotel so popular after having their “bed-in for peace” here in 1969. Located by a small canal, it offers proximity to the famous Vondelpark, the true lungs of Amsterdam. As a Green Key-certified hotel it also meets certain criteria, including the ecological education of staff, energy-efficiency, reduction of eco-impact and others.
Enjoy several other hotel’s advantages:
- Perhaps the most nature-conscious couple in the world – John Lennon and Yoko Ono, once stayed at the hotel. You can even book their suite
- Its own boat landing pier is a great place to start your canal tour from
- Enjoy cozy evenings and views over the marina from the garden terrace at the Half Moon Lounge
- The hotel received TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence Award in 2013
Hotel Pulitzer 5*. From €169
It’s cool to know that Pulitzer, one of the most luxurious and most historic hotels in Amsterdam, strives to be the best even when it comes to green initiatives. The hotel’s a proud owner of the Golden Green Key Certificate, which means it received the highest praise from the eco label. Besides, its parent company Starwood is the official Green Key partner.
Just some of the reasons to choose Hotel Pulitzer:
- Location within 25 canal houses between the Prinsengracht and the Keizersgracht canals
- Several beautiful gardens found on-site. The gardens are included in Terras Top 100 as the best gardens in the country and feature an Art Gallery
- The hotel has sustainable procurement policy and gives preference to environmentally friendly products and suppliers from the same region
- Dining offers include Restaurant Keizersgracht 238 overlooking the canal and Wine Salon "de Apotheek" with interior dating back to the 1800s
Conservatorium Hotel 5*. From €268
Conservatorium hotel is the true discovery for the culture vultures who support sustainable tourism principles. Start your cultural acquaintance with Amsterdam at this very hotel as it occupies the former seat of the Sweelinck Conservatory. Then head to the Museumplein located next doors. The hotel’s designed by the famous architect Piero Lissoni and is the proud owner of the Green Globe Certificate.
Eco-conscious guests will enjoy these hotel advantages:
- The Rijksmuseum, the Van Gogh museum, the Stedelijk Museum, the Concertgebouw and the Vondelpark are just around the corner
- The hotel reuses water from its swimming pool in the sprinkler system, uses a thermal energy storage system and eco certified cleaning products and takes some other “green” actions
- You can make your contribution, too: for instance, by deciding to have your towels changed less frequently
- A unique choice of rooms and suites, including the triplex I love Amsterdam Suite and a Rooftop Suite
Hotel Okura 5*. From €210
It would be wrong not to mention one of the most outstanding Amsterdam hotels, Okura, in our list. A new Green Globe member since June 2013, the hotel sits in the quieter Amsterdam Zuid area by the Amstel canal. Enjoy the combination of service on an international level and a touch of Japanese flair. Many city guests head to the hotel to enjoy its gastronomic offers.
But Okura provides much more than just rooms and dining:
- Views on the Amstel canal and location close to the RAI Exhibition Centre. The Beatrixpark is also pretty easy to reach
- Traveling by an electrical car? Okura has two electrical power charger points in the parking garage which are free to use
- Biking package offered from €257. An overnight stay, breakfast, bike rental and Amsterdam info package are included
- Michelin-starred restaurant Ciel Bleu and the sky-high Twenty Third Bar overlooking the Amsterdam skyline found on-site
Mövenpick Hotel Amsterdam City Centre 4*. From €132
Mövenpick Amsterdam City Centre is a part of the Mövenpick Hotels & Resorts – one of the largest hotel chains to partner with the Green Globe. The number of hotel’s green initiatives is incalculable. Besides, its location is top notch for a boat tour around Amsterdam canals or cultural sightseeing.
Some more facts about this hotel:
- Location by the IJ bay, with panoramic views from all the hotel rooms
- Green Globe certified in 2011. The list of hotel’s eco actions includes: energy saving systems in each room, water saving plan implemented, the use of biological products, LED lighting in public areas, waste recycling and much more
- 90% of products used at the hotel are produced by Dutch suppliers. It also supports local social programs like Vonk and Humanitas to help fight cancer, poverty etc.
- Rent a bike or use the hotel’s free shuttle to get to the city centre
- Save up to 30% off your stay this Autumn. Autumn city breaks offer is available until November 28th 2013