Gay friendly accommodation in Amsterdam
What makes a hotel gay-friendly? Perhaps not the list of facilities provided, but its clientele and a friendly attitude that makes you feel extremely welcome when staying with your partner. And indeed, Amsterdam is the number one choice for a gay romantic trip due to the city’s open-mindedness, numerous hotels and venues aimed at the rainbow community guests. See the list of the most popular gay-friendly and gay-owned hotels in Amsterdam.
The best gay-friendly hotels in Amsterdam
Hotel Amistad 2*. From approx. €60
Hotel Amistad (translated from Spanish as “friendship”) has long been one of the most popular gay-friendly hotels in Amsterdam. There are two reasons for this. Firstly, its central location on one of the best known gay streets Kerkstraat which makes it a great base for your first acquaintance with Amsterdam and its gay sights. Secondly, a friendly and personal approach. In Amistad, you’re not just a hotel guest, but a member of one big family.
Other main reasons to choose Hotel Amistad:
- Location within walking distance to the renowned Club Church, Bump gay bar and the popular gay street Reguliersdwarsstraat
- Quadruple rooms, apartments and penthouses offered along with cheaper room types
- Tickets to popular gay parties and boat rental for private canal tours offered
- Rich breakfast highly praised by the hotel guests
Hotel The Golden Bear 1*. From approx. €88
Did you know that already in 1948 there was a hotel in Amsterdam that welcomed gays and lesbians? And this was the Golden Bear. History, location and value are the main features that characterize the hotel. Like the Amistad, Golden Bear stands on the Kerkstraat and is perfect to explore the city and mix with the other members of the LGBT community.
The main hotel advantages are:
- Lots of gay venues, including the Bump bar, De Spijker bar, gay café bar Taboo and Black Body shop found nearby
- Pretty inexpensive, if you consider the hotel’s location
- Rooms equipped with cable TV, fridge and a DVD player
- Homely and quiet atmosphere within the lively city area
Hilton Amsterdam 5*. From approx. €209
Looking for more luxurious accommodation? Hilton Amsterdam would be your number one choice. The whole Hilton chain is known to be a proud partner of the International Gay and Lesbian Travel Association. The property in Amsterdam is one of the chain’s flagships: it was the venue for John Lennon’s and Yoko Ono’s 1969 “bed-in for peace”. So if you want to surprise your boy/girlfriend, you can book the suite where the famous couple stayed.
You’ll also love this hotel for:
- Peaceful location by a canal close to the Vondelpark, yet with easy access to the city centre
- Gay friendly events such as the House of Bad Habits organized at the hotel
- “Stay Hilton. Go Out” offer available to the members of the LGBT community until 31st December 2013. High-speed internet access, late check-out and two complimentary welcome beverages included
- Join Hilton’s LGBT e-mail list and get information about the most curious themed events, travel ideas and offers
Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht 5*. From approx. €255
Enjoy the sophisticated style and all the comforts of a first class hotel at Andaz Amsterdam. Located by one of Amsterdam’s oldest canals, Prinsengracht, this boutique hotel is perfect for a sightseeing tour, a romantic boat trip or a leisurely stroll. Unique interior design by Marcel Wanders will add a special flair and a touch of style to your stay.
Highly recommended for:
- Rooms with chic design and Dutch flavor overlooking the Observatory, a garden or the canal
- Numerous gay-friendly spots in the vicinity: De Spijker and Bump gay bars, Boekhandel Vrolijk Gay and Lesbian Bookshop, Stichting Gay & Lesbian Information Centre and more
- The Rainbow package offered by the hotel. A stay at the Large Canal View or Garden View Terrace Room, complimentary Pink Point goodiebag, two cocktails at the Bluespoon Bar, breakfast for two at the Bluespoon Restaurant and late check-out are included
Marriott Amsterdam 5*. From approx. €169
Marriott Amsterdam is one of the top-rated five star Amsterdam hotels, according to Tripadvisor’s members. A proud owner ofTravelers Choice 2013 award in “Luxury” category, it boasts all the regalia of a 5 star property: impeccable service, all kinds of facilities and convenient location.
In short, the hotel’s main advantages are:
- Location by the Leidseplein – the most important nightlife district in Amsterdam
- The Kerkstraat with its main gay attractions, Stichting Gay Amsterdam Association, Cuts and Curls Male Hairstyling and other useful spots found nearby
- The Vondelpark located close to the hotel is an excellent alternative for those who need some rest from partying
- Seasonal Gay Pride VIP package. In 2013 the package included breakfast for two, welcome drinks, information guide and access to the VIP decks on the Rembrandt square and on the Amstel river for better Gay Pride parade views