Cheap accommodation in and near the Red Light District of Amsterdam
Heading to Amsterdam to see one of its most famous and ambiguous attractions – the Red Light District? If you don’t want to stay far from this area, you will easily find a cheap room right in the district. The combination of value, comfort and location at many hostels will impress you. The fact that the Red Lights are found right in the city centre will make some travelers happy, too: the historic sites are just around the corner. We’ve picked out the best hostels and budget hotels in the Red Light District for you.
Best budget accommodation in or near the Red Light District
Flying Pig Downtown Hostel. From €16.90
If you need a good night’s sleep, head to the Flying Pig Uptown Hostel, which is right by the Vondelpark. But for partying, definitely choose its Downtown sister. Because of its cool location in the shopping area, next doors to the Red Light District and in a walking distance from the Centraal Station, the hostel is perfect whatever the purpose of your visit is.
Listing all its advantages would take ages, but the main are:
- Party atmosphere throughout. A bar that hosts regular DJ sets and a spacious smoking room with a small terrace are found on the hostel’s territory
- Location in the Nieuwendijk, one of the most popular shopping streets of Amsterdam
- Personal reading lights in dorms and little fridges and TVs in private rooms
- Free hostel offers: buffet breakfast, walking tours, city maps, free use of the hostel’s kitchen, free WiFi
- 25% discount at the Belushi’s bar and free entrance at the Winston Kingdom nightclub for all hostel guests
Winston hostel/hotel Amsterdam. From approx. €31
Speaking of the Winston Kingdom, the Winston hotel/hostel situated in the same building as the club is also an excellent choice for the party souls. The hotel is known for its artistic rooms that simply exude character and style. Each room is designed by an artist and has some quirky features: giant installations, neon lights, urban photographs and flashy colour schemes. For a more budget option, try out the hostel in the same location.
The main reasons to choose the Winston:
- Bold room designs that reflect the artistic and youthful soul of Amsterdam
- Lots of bars, clubs and a lively atmosphere waiting for you in the surroundings
- A nightclub, bar and a smoking room on-site make Winston a heaven for party people
- A choice between colourful rooms and cheaper dorms. Want to stay in a quieter atmosphere? Check the rooms at the back of the building
Heart of Amsterdam Hostel. From €29
Heart of Amsterdam hostel is just where its name guides you to: the heart of the city. The youthful heart. Every room is stylishly designed in a movie theme. No nightclub on-site, so you can probably count on a better sleep. The hostel owners also pay lots of attention to little extras that add more comfort to your stay, such as personal lockers and reading lights.
What makes this hostel so different is:
- Rooms designed in movie style. You can choose a room with a Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill, American Beauty and other movie themes
- Designer beds, personal safes and lockers, reading lights, 26” flat screen TVs in every room
- The hostel’s been renovated recently, so if you’ve already been here, expect some surprises
- WiFi, breakfast, Skype phone and DVD library are all free
- Smoking garden on-site
The Bulldog Hotel Amsterdam. From €20
The Bulldog provides a perfect lodging for those who need a little bit more than just a hostel room. Its location, the varied choice of rooms, the cozy coffeeshop and value are the reasons it won the reputation of the “first five star hostel in the world”. Tripadvisor’s Certificate of Excellence 2013 is a proof.
So, what exactly will you find at this hotel/hostel?
- Dorms, private rooms, female-only rooms, luxury rooms and even apartments
- Luxury rooms feature LCD TVs, Wii game consoles, fridges and canal views. Apartments are located in a canal house down the road from the hostel and come with living areas and kitchens
- The Bulldog coffeeshop is the first and the most known coffeshop in the city, founded by Henk de Vries in 1975
- Stay 5 pay for 4 deal and free accommodation on your birthday are offered. Check the Bulldog for details
White Tulip Hostel. From €14
White Tulip is not as daring and colourful as the rest of the hostels in our list, however, its basic and budget, which makes it a viable option for your accommodation in the Red Light District. The Centraal Station is a five minute walk from the hostel. But the true White Tulip’s draw is the Slainte Irish pub, with its cozy atmosphere and discounts at happy hours.
The hostel’s main advantages are:
- Unlike many other Amsterdam hostels and hotels, White Tulip welcomes large groups. But better contact the hostel first
- The Slainte Irish pub located on the first floor. Get the second bottle of Heineken for free during the happy hours from 3 till 4 pm and from 7 till 8 pm
- Each guest gets a 20% discount at the pub plus a 10% discount at the Waffles and Crepes café which is 20 minutes from the hostel
- Location on the Warmoesstraat, one of the oldest and liveliest streets of Amsterdam