Best suburban and uptown hotels in Amsterdam
A good Amsterdam hotel does not necessarily have to be a central hotel. If you prefer quieter atmosphere, don’t mind traveling a bit to the main city attractions or have other aims than just sightseeing, we can suggest you a long list of hotels to choose from. Most of them have an undisputable advantage of a more peaceful location and, quite often, lower prices. Comfortable beds, quality service, basic amenities (and even more) are guaranteed. See the list of the best hotels in the uptown area and the outskirts of Amsterdam.
Best uptown Amsterdam hotels for any purpose
Mercure Amsterdam Airport 4*. Perfect for a stopover. From €62
If you plan a stopover in Amsterdam before going somewhere else and don’t want to sleep far from the airport, Mercure is one of the best choices we can suggest. True to the brand standards, the hotel will provide you with the basic facilities and amenities for a pleasant stay, including comfortable beds, tasty breakfasts with great choices and a gym for a workout.
The main reasons to choose this hotel for your stay are:
- Location close to the airport and good transport links to get to the city centre
- Clean, bright, rooms with comfortable beds and a modern feel
- Good value for money
- Free shuttle bus to and from Schiphol Airport
- Car parking on site which is free on week-ends
Okura Hotel Amsterdam 5*. Style and unprecedented offers. From €188
Despite its location outside the city centre, Okura is one of the most popular hotels in Amsterdam and a true magnet for those searching for out-of-the ordinary hotel offers. The place where East meets West, Okura boasts Michelin-starred restaurants, the largest suite in the Benelux and a Spa center that will help you get rid of the tension after a business day. And you’ll definitely need that if you came to Amsterdam for an event at the RAI, which is pretty close to the hotel.
The most important Okura advantages are:
- Chic design and modern Japanese-style interiors
- Impeccable 5 star service and good advice from the hotel concierge
- The latest in-room technology is the hotel’s WOW factor: pads to control light and temperature, heated toilet seats, very fast WiFi and more
- Ciel Bleu and Yamazato restaurants boast Michelin stars while the Twenty Third bar has the best views in town
- The hotel’s sommelier Noel Vanwittenbergh is the Sommelier of the Year by Gault Millau 2014
Flying Pig Uptown Hostel. A youthful spirit and an Amsterdam experience. From €18
Not as far from the centre as you could think by its name, the Flying Pig Uptown hostel is a fine alternative to noisy hostels in the Red Light District, including its own sister property, The Flying Pig Downtown. We advice the Flying Pig Uptown if you’re heading to Amsterdam with a tight budget and a merry spirit. The party atmosphere is all around you at the Flying Pig. Still, if you want a more peaceful and cultural change in activity, the Vondelpark and the Museum district are just around the corner.
Things that the young guests will like about the hostel:
- Cheap accommodation in dorms for up to 32 people
- Private rooms available as well
- The Vondelpark is just opposite the hotel. The Museumplein with famous museums and the Leidseplein known for its nightclubs are around the corner
- Easy walking distance to the city centre
- A Dutch-style bar and a fully-equipped self-service kitchen on-site
- A smoking room found right at the hotel. Weed smoking is allowed
CitizenM Amsterdam City 4*. Affordable boutique accommodation. From €80
Tech fans and those who want to get a unique hotel experience will like the sleek, stylish and modern CitizenM hotel. Bright contrast colours, designer furniture and curious room touches like the mood pad which controls coloured lightning, temperature, blinds and television create the futuristic atmosphere that is hard to forget. Location is a bit far from the city centre (about 15-20 minutes by public transport), but pretty convenient to the World Trade Center and the RAI.
The main hotel advantages are:
- Boutique hotel with prices that don’t go sky-high
- Unusual design with futuristic touches
- Location in a peaceful Amsterdam Zuid area
- Good choice of snacks at the CanteenM and chic living rooms with Vitra furniture
- The World Trade Center and the RAI Exhibition Centre are close to the hotel
Westcord Art Hotel Amsterdam 4*. An artistic soul and green surroundings. From €64
Westcord Art Hotel Amsterdam (formerly Golden Tulip) is probably the most artistic and culturally-oriented hotel you can find outside the centre of Amsterdam. True to its name, the hotel boasts an artistic spirit and even an art gallery displaying works by Herman Brood. The artworks can also be discovered at the luxurious Herman Brood Art Suite with jacuzzi. For a cheaper alternative, check the 3-star Art Hotel adjacent to its 4-star sister property.
We recommend Westcord Art Hotel for:
- Unique artistic touches in public areas and some rooms and a gallery found on-site
- Location in a quieter Westerpark neighborhood with a park and some architectural sights found in the area
- Easy access to the city centre which is around a 10-minute trip from the hotel
- Smoking rooms provided
- A nice restaurant, a terrace and a public open air swimming pool
QBic Hotel Amsterdam 3*. World Trade Centre at your doorsteps. From €55
Here is another fun experience that won’t cost you a fortune. QBic is a daring design hotel located right by the World Trade Centre, which is very convenient if you’re a business or an event attendee. We wouldn’t recommend the hotel if you want to get what you always get, but if you’re ready for a new experience – you’re welcome! The focus of each hotel room is a Cubi, a cube-shaped living space with changeable mood lights, including red, yellow and purple colours.
Other hotel features that make it so very special are:
- Super comfortable Hastens beds and Philippe Starck design bathroom elements
- Free WiFi in rooms
- A self-service hotel concept: a self-service check-in terminal and vending machines found at the QBic
- Good value for money
- Location next to the World Trade Center