Some excellent hostels for Amsterdam guests
A hostel is the best variant of accommodation for those who came to Amsterdam not for luxuries, but for the city’s history and beauties. It is also an excellent variant for your after-party sleep or a fun trip in a company of friends. But in fact, many Amsterdam hostels offer you more than just a comfortable bed for a low price. Many of them combine value, top shelf location and the special vibe that will make you say you’ve truly been to Amsterdam. See the list of the most exceptional Amsterdam hostels.
The best Amsterdam hostels
Flying Pig Uptown Hostel. From €25
There are two Flying Pigs in Amsterdam: the Flying Pig Uptown overlooking the Vondelpark and the Flying Pig Downtown in the Red Light District. The latter is more central, however, the Uptown is an excellent spot whatever you came to Amsterdam for: a night of clubbing at the Leidseplein, peaceful walks at the Vondelpark, or a visit to the main historic sites which are easily reachable by tram.
The advantages of the Flying Pig Uptown Hostel are truly innumerable, but the main are:
- The Vondelpark, the Leidseplein, the Museum district, Albert Cuijp market are all close to the hostel
- Discounted bike rental, free skate hire, free walking tours and free city maps provided
- Smoking area adjacent to the bar
- The hostel’s bar claims to have the cheapest beer in Amsterdam. Themed parties every 10 days
- 25% discount at Belushi's bar and free entrance to the Winston Kingdom club for hostel guests
- Fully equipped self-service kitchen on-site. Snacks and breakfasts are also offered
St Christopher's at the Winston. From approx. €31
The Winston is the hotel/hostel with a character. An “interactive museum of modern art”, that’s how it calls itself, and perhaps this designation is much deserved. Located by the edge of the Red Light District, it houses a hotel and a hostel and offers rooms designed by local artists, with giant robots, street art, club-style atmosphere and a rebellious soul. Private hotel rooms are offered along with dorms.
Why we recommend the Winston:
- Perfect location for clubbing, pub crawls and sightseeing. The cultural centre is a short walk from here
- Dorms are not as striking as the hotel rooms, but still preserve that youthful feel. Dorms for 4 – 8 people are offered
- Belushi’s bar and restaurant, Winston Kingdom nightclub and a large ventilated smoking room found on site
Heart of Amsterdam Hostel. From €29
Heart of Amsterdam is another hostel for the party heads that stands out among the standard budget accommodation offers. Located in the heart of the Red Light District and just 3 minutes from the Centraal Station, it welcomes movie fans who want to spend a night in the atmosphere of their favorite movie: American Beauty, Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill and others. Sleep off your hangover on a designer bed and head to see the charming architecture of the district at daytime.
The most outstanding hostel features are:
- Intriguing themed rooms. Private rooms and dorms offered
- Rooms come equipped with reading lights, personal lockers, personal electric sockets and large flat screen TVs
- Free Wi-Fi and free Skype phone. Wi-Fi connection is pretty good
- A smoking garden at the back of the hostel
Stayokay Hostel Amsterdam Vondelpark. From €22.50
Stayok is another Amsterdam hostel chain that includes three properties, with Stayokay Vondelpark being the largest and the most popular one. Those who plan a visit to the Vondelpark in the first place can’t find a better variant for their stay: the hostel stands right inside the park. It is also a member of Hostelling International, a federation of youth hostels, which means high standards are followed.
Enjoy the following Stayok features:
- Same-sex and mixed rooms offered. Private showers and toilets in each room
- A restaurant, meeting rooms, rooms for the disabled and a pool table on-site
- Children under 2 stay for free. Children’s beds and high chairs are provided
- Unlike most hostels, Stayok offers themed packages: 400 years of canals package (boat tour included), Hiking and biking packages and more
- Walking tours, parties and other entertainment organized for the hostel guests every day
White Tulip Hostel. From €45
We’re in another hotel right in the heart of the Red Light District. White Tulip is not as impressive as the rest of the places in our list, however, it’s clean and cheap, and the location means that you can crawl to your bed without having to go far from the Red Lights. The hectic nightlife is all around you while the more traditional sights are just around the corner.
Other reasons to choose White Tulip Hostel:
- Unlike in other hotels and hostels, stag parties are welcome at the White Tulip. Dorms for up to 10 persons are provided
- Free WiFi and free safe on the reception offered
- Cool Irish pub found in the same building. Get a second bottle of Heineken for free during the happy hours (from 3 till 4 pm and from 7 till 8 pm).
- A 20% discount at the bar and a 10% discount at the Waffles and Crepes (which is 20 minutes from White Tulip) provided for the hostel guests